Happening Next Week:
- Sunday, 9/18, 9:30 – 2:00 – Outdoor workday. See below for details
- Scholastic Book Fair 9/19 – 9/23 – The book fair will be open before and after school, during recess, and before Movie Night. See below for details
- Monday, 9/19, 9:00 – 10:30 – Sprouts Orientation in the Faculty Dining Room. See below for details
- Tuesday, 9/20, 6:30 pm – HIPS meeting in the Faculty Dining Room. Child care provided by the YMCA (potty trained, 3-12). See below for details
- Wednesday,9/21, 3:15 – Hacienda Homestead Farm Stand. Bring cash for eggs and honey. See below for details
- Thursday, 9/22 – Animal Adoptions begin and run through October 20th. See below for details
- Friday, 9/23 – Movie Night. The students chose Zootopia! The movie will start when it’s dark enough, around 7:00 pm
- Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities – See below for information on volunteer opportunities throughout the school
- September 22 – October 20 – Animal Adoptions. See below for details
- September 26 – October 17 – Science Camp Fundraiser. See below for details
- September 27 – Fun Bucks Store. See below for details
- September 30 – Newsletter articles due for the October newsletter. See below for details
- October 3 – October 7 – Fall Break. NO SCHOOL!
- Friday, October 28 – Fall Festival! See below for details
Want to know what’s after that? Check out the calendar at http://tinyurl.com/HIPSCalendar. It has the events scheduled for the entire school year!
ONGOING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
WE NEED YOU!!!
1. We need parent volunteers for testing on Thursday Sept 29 and Friday Sept 30. One parent from 9-11 and one parent from 1-3 each day. Please contact Diana Wilson- email@example.com
2. We need 2 parents to help with newsletter copying each month to get our newsletter out. Any takers?
3. We need parent volunteers for Fun Bucks Store. The store opens Tuesday 9/27. It can’t open without volunteers.
4. We need Animal Holding volunteers to help out with holding animals or taking pictures.
If you can help out with any of these needs, please contact Diana Wilson Hipsvolunteervp@gmail.com .
Hello parents of Hacienda! Your Art Vistas program is in need of calendar pages and
magazines with flowers, for an upcoming art lesson. If you have these items to donate please bring them to the Art Vistas inside art supply space which is located just past the nurses office on the right, in the first big room. Thank you tons! 🙂
OUTDOOR WORKDAY Sun, September 18, 9:30am – 2:00pm
Hacienda Outdoor Classroom
Join the Hacienda community for one of our outdoor workdays to care for our amazing Outdoor Classroom and school garden beds.
• 9:30-12:00 = Work time (Please arrive by 11:00.)
• 12:00-1:00 = Lunchtime snacks
• 12:30-1:30 = Crayfishing (for students who worked an hour or more)
• 1:30-2:00 = Clean up
* All children must bring a supervising adult to work alongside them
* Come to work for as long or as short as you like. We recommend younger students come for just an hour. See time frames above
* Wear sunscreen and work clothes that can get dirty
We need you! Hope to see you there!
Scholastic Book Fair, September 19 – September 23
Ahoy Bookaneers! The book fair will be open 9/19 – 9/23. Stop by before school, from 8:00–9:30, during recess, or after school from 3:00-4:00. The book fair will also be open on Friday, 9/23 before movie night, from 5:00-7:00 pm. Please visit http://bit.ly/HaciendaBookFair to volunteer if you are available to work a shift.
Sprouts Orientation & Training is Monday, September 19 at 9:00-10:30am in the FDR. Please join us if you wish to be a docent, helper or waterer.
Lesson One delivery begins 9/19 through 10/14.
HIPS Meeting Tuesday, September 20, 6:30 pm
Please join us for our monthly HIPS Meeting in the Faculty Dining Room
Reasons to attend a HIPS Meeting:
- Connect with other parents
- Be the first to hear about new and upcoming events at school
- Have a voice in the activities and programs HIPS supports
- Learn how Hacienda students and teachers benefit from HIPS
We will be discussing:
Budget Approval – Principal News – Movie Night – HIPS Membership Drive – Scholastic Book Fair Volunteer Recognition – Traffic Safety – Fall Festival
Hacienda Involved Parents & Staff (HIPS) Meetings are open to all.
Meetings usually take place on the 3rd Tuesday of each month and the time may vary.
Free childcare (funded by HIPS) provided for evening meetings by the on-site YMCA facility for ages 3-12 years
(Kids must be potty trained). No RSVP required.
Hacienda Homestead Farm Stand
Wednesday, September 21, from 3:15-3:45 come by the science lab to see all the eggs and honey we have available for donations! Please bring cash – prices are as follows:
Eggs – $4/half dozen
Honey – $5/4 oz
We will have the Hacienda Homestead Farm Stand open every other Wednesday from 3:15-3:45, so if you miss it this week don’t worry!
Animal Adoptions, September 22 – October 20
Hacienda’s beloved science animals (including our own Hacienda Homestead Chickens) are available for adoption starting this Thursday, September 22nd! The animal adoption program helps defray the cost of caring for the school’s animals, and supports our science department. Students in grades K-5 may “adopt” an animal for the school year by donating any amount toward its care. The animals stay at school, but students who adopt enjoy special opportunities and tokens of appreciation:
· A photo with their adopted animal
· A sign posted on the animal’s habitat with the name of the student(s) who adopted it
· Special animal holding opportunities
· The student’s name will appear on a special animal poster in the science lab
Look for the flyer coming home this week. Forms and donations may be given to your child’s teacher or dropped in the HIPS box in the animal adoption folder. Additional flyers are available in the front office. Questions? Please contact Rebecca Rountree (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Laura Prijatel (email@example.com).
All Grades Science Camp Fundraising will be September 26th through October 17th
The Science Camp fundraiser is an opportunity for every student to raise money toward 5th Grade Science Camp.
Every grade has a Science Camp account that follows the grade level group of students, until they reach 5th Grade. Therefore, each grade has had up to six years of fundraising to offset the Science Camp fees.
The 2016 Camp Fundraiser is…
The Charleston Wrap Fundraiser will be from September 26th to October 17th.
The catalogs includes quality gift wrap, chocolates, personalized items, kitchen items, and magazines. *Orders submitted via paper order forms receive a 50% profit, while online orders receive a lower 40%.
If you would prefer to donate directly to the science camp fund (rather than fundraising) tax deductible donations are always welcome.
Primary grade parents: START EARLY in building your grade’s science camp fund!!! This is the ONLY fundraiser that reduces the per camper price. Take advantage of this opportunity!
Helpers Wanted to distribute fundraising packets to classrooms next Fri 9/23. Contact Michelle Scripoch firstname.lastname@example.org
Fun Bucks Store is Tuesday, September 27th
Bring your Fun Bucks to school on Tuesday, September 27th and shop the Fun Bucks Store!
Kindergarten shop 10:15 – 10:30
4-5 grade shop 10:55 – 11:05
1, 2, 3 grade shop 11:05 – 11:15
Parent volunteers are needed to help set up and sell at the Fun Buck Store 10AM – 11:30. If you can help, please contact Doreen Carter at email@example.com.
FUN BUCKS STORE DONATIONS: If you have toys, stuffed animals or books (in good shape) to donate to the Fun Bucks Store, please drop them in the “FUN BUCKS STORE” box located in the HIPS area of the Faculty Dining Room. We could also use donations of small toy, school or jewelry items that are small enough to place inside of plastic Easter Eggs.
Fall Festival is Friday, October 28th
Have you marked your calendar yet? Friday October 28th. We still NEED a Volunteer Coordinator and Prize Redemption Manager! Please contact Michelle Scripoch or Melissa Belur ASAP HaciendaFallFestival@gmail.com
Do you have an article or idea to include in Hacienda’s monthly newsletter? Anyone is welcome to submit articles to NewsletterHacienda@gmail.com. The due date for articles to be published in the October Newsletter is September 30. See the attached calendar for due dates for subsequent newsletters.
• Articles welcome! Photos welcome! Ideas Welcome!
• Send in high-resolution Hacienda artwork and/or photos to go with your articles! Clipart and stock photos get the job done, but Haciendaspecific images keep our readers engaged.
• No last names of children – the newsletter is public on the website.
• Please spell-check.
• Editor proofreading is done for grammar only, not for accuracy of the information provided.
• The editor does not write the articles. (So please no, “put in something about the next fundraiser”!). Editor will just copy & paste your text into a newsletter layout.
• No flyers, please; meaning no pre-formatted ‘articles’ that cannot be manipulated/split into columns. Flyers should be printed separately & sent out individually. This is done to curb the insane print/collate/staple time for the ~500 copies of a ~12 page newsletter on the ONE copier available to HIPS.
• Multiple languages welcome.